Development Permits

See Current Permit Applications (here)

Public Tenders, Hearings, Contracts, Permits and Bids

Development Permit Application Process

Development Permit Application Packages by Type:

Additional Development Information

What is a Development Permit in Lamont County?

Development in Lamont County is regulated by Land Use Bylaw 675/07, as amended. Most development requires a Development Permit and is defined in the Bylaw as follows:

  • an excavation or stockpile and the creation of either of them;
  • a building or an addition to, or replacement or repair of a building and the construction or placing of any of them in, on, over or under land;
  • a change of use of land or a building or an act done in relation to land or a building that results in or is likely to result in a change in the use of the land or building; or
  • a change in the intensity of use of land or a building or an act done in relation to land or a building that results in or is likely to result in a change in the intensity of use of the land or building.

    The definition also includes the demolition or removal of a building or the placement of an already constructed or partially constructed building on a lot.

When do I need a Development Permit?

You will need a Development Permit prior to the placement, demolition, and construction of any structure over 193 square feet. Please note, other Permits under the Alberta Safety Codes Act or other Legislation may be required.

Who can apply for a Development Permit?

The registered owner(s) of the land or an authorized person acting on the landowner(s) behalf may apply for a Development Permit. All applicable signatures will be required on the Development Permit Application.

How long does it take to get a Development Permit?

The Development Authority must, within 20 days after the receipt of a Development Permit
Application, acknowledge whether the application is deemed complete. The Development Authority must make a decision on the application for a Development Permit within 40 days of the acknowledgment date.

What is the difference between Permitted and Discretionary use?

There are two types of uses in every district: permitted and discretionary. Permitted uses are approved by the Development Authority upon meeting the regulations in the Land Use Bylaw. Decisions cannot be appealed unless the provisions of the Land Use Bylaw were relaxed, varied, or misinterpreted. Discretionary uses are assessed and approved on a case-by-case basis based on the complexity and impact of the proposed development with adjacent developments and the surrounding area. Discretionary permits may be referred to adjacent landowners and various agencies for comments. Once a decision is made, the permit will be advertised in the Lamont Leader and on the Lamont County Website.

Lamont County Planning & Development
5303 50 Ave Lamont, AB T0B 2R0
780 895 2233

How close to the property line can we build?

The setbacks to the property lines vary depending on the Land Use District in which the property is located and the type of road that is adjacent. Contact the Planning & Development Department to get exact information on the setback requirements in your particular Land Use District or, you may reference the current Land Use Bylaw on the Lamont County Website.

Once I have a Development Permit, how long does it last?

If the development authorized by a Permit is not commenced within twelve (12) months from the date of its issue, the Permit is deemed void, unless an extension to this period has been granted by the Development Authority prior to the expiry date.

What if my Development Permit is refused?

A decision of a Development Permit or a refusal may be appealed to the Inter-Municipal Subdivision and Development Appeal Board. You or your authorized agent may appeal a decision of refusal, or any condition attached to an approval. To appeal, you must send a written notice, stating reasons, and the applicable fee within 21 days of the date of decision to the Development Authority. Upon receipt of a notice of appeal, the Board will determine if there are valid grounds to hear the appeal. If an appeal is accepted, the Board will hear your arguments regarding the decision as well as any arguments put forward by the Development Authority or affected parties. The Board has the authority to uphold the Development Authority’s decision, reverse the decision or change any of the conditions attached to the decision. Please be advised not all appeals may fall within the jurisdiction of the ISDAB and may be required to appeal to the Land and Property Rights Tribunal. For clarity, you may contact the Planning and Development Department.

What other Permits may be required for my project?

A Roadside Development Permit through Alberta Transportation is required for all proposed
developments, including:

- change in use of existing buildings;
- construction of a new access;
- excavations and ground disturbances within 300 metres of a highway right-of-way boundary or 800 metres from the centre point of an intersection of the highway with another public road; and/or
- Operation of a business or changes/additions to existing commercial or industrial sites.

Please note other approvals may be required either federally or through the province.
You may also require Safety Codes Permits including the following: Building Permit, Electrical Permit, Gas Permit, Plumbing Permit and Private Sewage Disposal Permit. Safety Codes Permit applications are available on the County’s website by clicking HERE or, through Superior Safety Codes.

Who do we contact to obtain approval for an access approach to our property?

The Public Works Department can assist in the process for obtaining approval for accesses to rural properties. They can be reached at (780) 895 2547.