2021 Municipal Election
Monday, October 18, 2021In Lamont County, each of the five electoral divisions elects one Councillor to a term of office for four years. There is no limit on the number of times a Councillor can be re-elected.
After the general municipal election, the five Councillors elect from among themselves a Reeve and a Deputy Reeve at an Organizational Meeting each year in October.
Local Election Rule ChangesThe Government of Alberta has updated the Local Authorities Election Act that outlines election rules in municipalities, school boards, Metis Settlements and irrigation districts. The following Bills have been passed since the last Municipal Election was held:
- Bill 45: the Local Authorities Election Amendment Act, 2020 (No. 2) received royal assent on December 9, 2020 to ensure fairness among third-party advertisers and minimize duplication when a provincial referendum or senate vote are held in conjunction with municipal elections.
- Bill 29, the Local Authorities Election Amendment Act was passed on July 21, 2020 to allow people to donate to as many candidates as they choose and give candidates more flexibility to get their message out to voters.
- Bill 23, An Act to Renew Local Democracy in Alberta was passed on December 5, 2018 to limit campaign contributions, ban corporate and union donations and improve transparency and accountability.
- Campaign Finance and Contribution Disclosure Amendments (.pdf)
- Government of Alberta Local Election Rule Changes
NominationsNew for 2021, the Local Authorities Election Act (LAEA) prescribes nomination period begins January 1 (Monday January 4, 2021) until 12:00 p.m. on Monday September 20, 2021.
The official list of Lamont County candidates who have filed their nomination papers to run in the 2021 Municipal Election will be posted on the Lamont County website as they are received.
Nomination Forms (.pdf)
Candidate EligibilityYou are eligible to run as a candidate if you meet ALL of the following criteria:
- At least 18 years of age on Nomination Day
- Canadian citizen
- Resident of the local jurisdiction for the six consecutive months immediately preceding Nomination Day
- In a municipality with a ward system, you must be a resident of the ward or the electoral division in which you intend to run for the six consecutive months immediately preceding Nomination Day.
- 2021 Prospective Candidates Information Package
Voter EligibilityYou are eligible to vote if you meet ALL of the following criteria:
- At least 18 years of age
- Canadian citizen
- Lived in Alberta for six consecutive months immediately preceding Election Day
- Resident of Lamont County
- Provided the required proof of eligibility as required by Section 53 of the Local Authorities Election Act.
Elector Forms (.pdf)
Historical Election Details*
# of Votes
*All historical voting information was taken from Alberta Municipal Affairs.